Translation: English to Canvas (Part 1: grading)
Here are some common questions I hear regarding Canvas grading
How do I...
- ... add a column to gradebook? Go to Assignments: + Assignment
- ... not accept late assignments? Go to Assignments: Available Until and set the date
- ... enter ‘0’ for missed assignments? Go to Grade book. For each assignment column, click on the down arrow for an assignment column (the full menu can take a while to load). Choose Set Default Grade. Enter '0'. Do not override.
It is really important to keep this up to date so that the students have an accurate grade.
- ... excuse a student from an assignment? Go to Grade book. Type the letters EX in the cell for that student for that assignment.
- ... drop an assignment? Go to the list of assignments. In one group of assignments, click the three dots to the right and choose Edit. Set to ignore 1 of lowest score. IMPORTANT - be sure that all of the assignments in that group are out of equal points. Canvas drops based on points, not on percentages.
- ... set grade cutoffs? Go to Settings. Choose 'Enable grading scheme'
- ... override a final grade? You can't. Sad face. We do this after Canvas has passed the grades to the registrar's office.